Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

My Jerusalem's Latest Not For Everyone

In honor of South by Southwest I'd like to lend my impressions of "Preachers" the title track from this Austin transplant's new album. It sounds unsettling, a swirl of madness set to the slowest, most deliberate pitch possible. Anyone out there who is amply skeptical about the intentions of preachers in an organized religion context aren't likely to feel any less at ease. It's Michael St. Clair's keyboards that amp the icky meter a notch. Grant Van Amburgh taps away on drums with.no wasted movement. Geena Spigarelli's bass inflections let you know an ominous presence is lurking. What I regret to share is that there's lost potential from this song because it tends to linger around the same series of angry chord arrangements. Varying this would make the theme harder to shake and less like a quizzical novelty. Vocalist Jim Klein acknowledges the record as a collective is darker that past material. Unfortunately there's little room to explore in the song as presented. Admittedly I haven't had the chance to hear "Preachers" front to back simply because I haven't been able to find a suitable upload point but if this track is any indication My Jerusalem falls victim to treading the same ground repeatedly with no indelible imprint to show for it. I chose to discuss this band because it's one with Austin ties that's performing at an Austin fest. However I can't really recommend it based on its inability to spread its soiled wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment