Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Gaga Maintains Her Very Provocative Vocal Persona with "Applause"

A round of applause indeed for the woman with a finger in every pot known as Lady Gaga. She's a multi chart hit with "Applause" where the main point is she spells out how much she lives for the applause of her as she once upon a time put it "Little monsters". There's the ever present flair for the dramatic working behind her, a potent wash of keyboards that her diehard supporters use to whip themselves into a dancefloor frenzy. The video is in Lady Gaga fashion something that's downright impossible to avert your gaze from with Gaga's trippy visual presentation plus the souped up special effects that drive her point home. I don't really consider myself to be part of Gaga's ardent supporters but I give the nod for putting out ear candy like this that is difficult to shake, very simple to remember, and is a highly nifty way to burn off calories from whatever craving has you lassoed to the turf. I'd be lying if I said I couldn't hear Dale Bozzio, the temptress front woman for '80s New-Wavers Missing Persons all over this song. Even Gaga's face paint in the video feels like a nod to Dale. One key difference bewteen the two women is Gaga wants to fight bullying whereas Dale got a bit of blotch on her reputation as being somewhat of a cat lady. Of course Dale is easier on the eyes than the elderly, incoherent woman from The Simpsons who seemed attracted to beings of the feline persuasion but, that observation is for someone else's media column. So to bring this conversation to a complete stop at the artistic gate, Lady Gaga has managed to get even me to cut her somewhat of a break thanks to this pulse-pounding number that plays up to her drama enabling strengths. As a side note I wish to stress that I hope to provide future blogs which focus on adult contemporary singles like this along with the other genres I consider myself to be the best able to carry on a meaningful discussion in, those being pop and rock. That'll be served up in the mission statement I'm working to put together. Should that plan be scuttled I will of course speak out about it. Round of applause to you all for bearing with me. Enjoy the leftovers portion of your no doubt busy evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment