Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Life Would Be Much Better Without This Saint Asonia Song

Plenty of bluster drips from "Let Me Live My Life", the new single from Canadian supergroup Saint Asonia. I can say with confidence that this single revolves mostly around a machismo slinging display of guitar and drums but with little lyrical excitement to make me want to do much more than sip, belch, then throw it in the garbage. Kudos to lead guitarist Mike Mushok for showing up and bringing a thudding solo to this dance. There, I've said it. That's about as exciting as "Let Me Live My Life" gets. I've heard the "repulsed by the man in the mirror" speech so often I could say it verbatim in my sleep. In fact the Kurt Vile review I did for you guys last time specifically mentions the clown in the mirror. I'm guessing delivery counts for everything. In Kurt's hands it was jovial. Here it's just grating. Regardless of how many cracks get clearer in that mirror you can't make the song stand on its own merit. Adam Gontier isn't winning any points for insisting "my pain is your entertainment. Where are the violins when you need them. About the only thing that works in this song's favor is its short play time. A shade over 3 minutes and we're wrapped up. This must be the aural equivalent of bringing a date to the door, giving her a gentle peck on the cheek and then stopping short of letting her in for some nookie. At its best hard rock chord bravado can heighten a band's A-game. "Let Me Live My Life" is not one of those instances. I doubt much could have been done to save this patient even with spicier lyrics. Adam calibrates his voice to achieve maximum irritation. That's not praise I'm ladling. That should never be the zero sum game of a rock song. If an audience is highly engaged by an effort then as an outfit you've soared above break even status. Corey Lowery gets much attention for his bass. Yet another example of how the cog eclipses the team tandem. Rich Beddoe lacks energy, at least not the kind that would elevate "Let Me Live My Life" to something besides a curiosity missing much motivation for repeated listening. It isn't like the basic riffs haven't been pounded into the ground a zillion times. That lyrical image of a knife being pulled out embodies every cliche known in the annals of rock history. Ditto for fearful hands being held steady. I'm not so clueless that a certain disposable aspect lies within pop culture as a collective. Saint Asonia has only been around since 2014 and therefore can't afford that label. It needs a few memorable outings under its belt. Only the guys themselves could say whether the song was pitched for an audience not expecting much from its diversionary entertainment. It comes across as such regardless. "Let Me Live My Life" sadly is dead on arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment