Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2016

All You Need Is Some Quality Dirty Heads

Huntington Beach's Dirty Heads are back and they continue to cop their Jamaican party vibe, and to excellent effect I might add. The new "That's All I Need" proves perfect for doing some rim rattling around the block in that classic souped up car of yours. You're at that sandy white beach of your dreams and just think about it...never even had to leave the comforts of your air-conditioned home to do it. All chords lean towards sunny. Glop on that suntan lotion and let the laid back too hip mood seep into your pores. Co-lead vocalists Jared "Dirty J" Watson and Dustin "Duddy B" Bushnell take us on a glorious mind trip through the time machine back to momentous firsts in the old neighborhood. Shawn Hagood's keyboards really allow the SPF factor to burst through the outer layers of our galaxy several times over. Try to resist the urge to take a bite out of David Foral's fresh squeezed orange juice patterned bass. Tasty down to the last drop. Jon Olazabal does his percussion responsibilities justice. You're planted squarely on that beach wondering if now's a great time to be obsessing over the prospects of skin cancer. Turning to the words themselves you can feel the years come sliding off as Jared and Dustin revel in the buzz that was. Don't you love how they give the era of vinyl its due? Evidence comes in the form of lyrics such as, "Yeah, every crack in the vinyl takes me back in time to where my Catalina idled." Oh, yeah. I can cop to the joy I get from the addictive pop of vinyl LPs, well-worn and full of enticing memories. Those first drugs have to committed to a journal of some kind, right? Latino culture gets street shout outs through acknowledgement of "the bikers and vatos I grew up with trying to steal up my zapatos." Dirty J nails his portion of the chorus because it sums up what's inherently bubbly about the song. You wouldn't know we were closing in on a possibly toxic election with the laid back burden deprived message of "I'm feeling like old school, mixtape. That's all I need. "I'm killing that low ride Sunday. That's all I need. Everybody sing "oooh oooh oooh oooh." There ain't no place I'd rather be. I'm talking bout right here, right now. That's all I need." Does it get any more hang loose simple than that? The Dirty Heads aren't expecting to rock the music world off of its foundations. They merely seek to get you in a zone where the day's, month's, and possibly even year's cares melt away into the ether. In the video, everybody's in the best possible frame of mind. Smiles all around the way. Chords nowhere close to reminding you of the adult obligations that await. Bobbing your head certainly isn't required but it's at the very least appropriate. In verse 2, Duddy B waxes eloquent about cigars dropped in the back of a Cadillac along with choice tidbits from a party with the Bad Seeds. Then it's a return visit to the devilishly fun chorus. In short "That's All I Need" gives you all the sun splashed hedonism nostalgia mix you could ever hope to ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment