Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2012

McCartney Makes Xmas Wonderful Just By Being Himself

I'd like to take this opportunity to step away from sharing the best and worst (in my opinion anyway) of the music hitting the charts today to get all holiday season on you. I'm a big kid when it comes to Xmas. Although I know that, through one unfortunate circumstance or another, many people in this world would rather forget this holiday ever existed, I love the lights and color it ushers in. Xmas music is a big part of that sparkle. When executed with style and panache the songs of the season make an already electrifying night even more electrifying. For me they don't come much more twinkly than Paul McCartney's "Wonderful ChristmasTime". This 1979 keyboard drenched ditty makes me light up from note one. Every childlike aspect of the season drops hints in my imagination when I hear it. The generously decorated tree, snow falling in generous clumps outside, warm overcoats, the infectious laughter of young children. Paul's own boyish glee sends this song over the top. Sums up perfectly the timeless value of being together with the ones you love, clinking glasses, stealing a smooch under the mistletoe. There's isn't much instrumentation outside of the keyboard and a late in the game display of hand claps. That's what adds to its beauty. No bombast to get  in the way of Paul's undeniably believable sentiment. To this day I still feel that the reason why Paul remains as one of the last two surviving Beatles is his boyish charm. When he says "We're sim-ply ha-vin' a wonderful Christmas time" I don't doubt him for a minute. Even the blackest heart couldn't withstand cheer served in this type of delightful package. I don't think Ringo Starr would've been capable of providing the same wave of warm fuzzies. If you're experiencing a dearth of holiday spirit, give "Wonderful Christmas Time" a fresh listen. Your woes might not vanish but, at least for 3 minutes and 46 seconds your outlook on life might brighten a shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment