Pages

Monday, July 29, 2013

One Blogger's Animated Opinions on Katy Perry

How appropriate it is that Katy Perry returns to reprise her role as Smurfette in The Smurfs 2. Of all the females currently prowling the music scene she's the one that most closely resembles a real life cartoon. I started to notice when she released "I Kissed a Girl" in 2008. There's that famous (maybe infamous depending on how your parents raised you) line "I kissed a girl and I liked it, the taste of her cherry chap stick." TMI for sure but grabs your attention, libido, eyebrows, and essentially everything else. Playfully arousing but at no point did I sense any corruption of the children of America at work here. The first single that has me thinking animated cartoon persona is "Hot 'N' Cold". It features those key synths that take me back to popping quarters into video games back in the '80s. All her kinetic energy springs out of the lyrics. You feel some compassion for the guy who has to inject downer drugs into her veins. How do you lasso that chick? It was an adorable romp that beautifully captures the highs and lows of a relationship. Katy isn't one to tolerate a dullard boyfriend. "Firework" seemed to be pop radio's go-to tune when it came out in 2010. She emitted a girl next door sort of charm. I thought it to be inspirational. Who wouldn't like to make crowds gasp as their star shoots across the sky? Yes no one of us can be replaced. That message needs to be repeated until the powers that be find someone or something else to torment. One thing I'm going to have a hard time forgiving her for is "Wide Awake". Big hit yes but the way she says wide awake is so robotic and, worse yet, impossible to shake from my brain. I guess the point was to say it in a zombie fashion to hint to us all that that's what your frame of mind likely is when you're wide awake. Even though her appearance on Sesame Street had a touch of controversy to it she gets point in my book for agreeing to appear. Otherwise what would break up the too comfy sameness of Elmo who pretty much rules the roost now. Her 5 #1 singles from "Teenage Dream" tied her with none other than Michael Jackson for most #1s from one album. Purr is the name of her Nordstrom's available fragrance. Her new album is slated to be called "Prism". I'd take her over Lady Gaga any day. Gaga knows her way around marketing herself and shocking as many easily shocked eyeballs as possible but I just appreciate Perry's aw shucks not impossible to approach persona more. Of course Pink could thrash both of their backsides but, that's fodder for another blog. Katy Perry is rolling full steam ahead through her career. Whether it's movies, music, or sex kitten sounding fragrance, she's on a pronounced roll. I however won't be watching her star turn in the new Smurf movie. Why? Smurfs were never meant to be taken from their captivating 2D world into something super high tech that only gives theater owners an excuse to charge more for tickets. While I'm glad Neil Patrick Harris is back on the screen not even that's going to reel me in. Good for him for essentially keeping the first movie from being a washout. Good for Katy for keeping herself firmly in the public imagination. To any of you out there old enough to remember The Smurfs and the Magic Flute you have my deepest sympathies. It was a travesty of cinematic justice. Katy's career progress is anything but. She's full of dazzling surprises. What she comes up with next ought to be a real conversation starter.

No comments:

Post a Comment