Pages

Friday, November 3, 2017

No Lie...Royal Blood Sure Can Crank Out a Guitar Jam

Royal Blood knows how to put guitar front and center as is demonstrated on the Brit group's brand new "I Only Lie When I Love You" The rhythms are very easy to follow throughout the song. Mike Kerr, the group's bass guitarist and vocalist delivers on some pretty potent riffs. His singing moves stride for stride with the bass for a knockout punch that goes a long way towards establishing Royal Blood as a band with a promising future in front of it. Drummer Ben Thatcher's percussion abilities only up the wow factor that much higher. Thank you Royal Blood for keeping the melody easy to follow so no one gets lost in the shuffle. It's an under 3 minute burst of white hot energy that seers into your brain with the venom of a python. Lyrically you won't be scratching your head much either. Try this on for size..."Go ahead muck about. I got my conscience twisted. Pull your hair. Make me shout. It's just that you insisted I was good for nothing like you were on to something. Sounds like rough foreplay to me. This particular verse hints at physical abuse..."I only lie when I love you. I only crawl when I hit the ground. You only cry when I love you. I only lie when I hit the ground." This is a relationship destined for either divorce court or the penitentiary. It appears like rough sledding either way. The stripped down feeling of the song gives it a true he-man swagger that will go over well with rock fans of all stripes and persuasions. Mike's voice is equally hard edged. It's knocked down a few quality brews down at the local pub and sports the king-sized hangovers to prove it. In the digital age we live in something lo tech is greatly appreciated. Brings us back to our caveman roots. The video is equally dedicated to not going overboard on the frills. Only black and white dot the color landscape but it's executed in a fashion where the instruments fill in the blanks. There's not much chord variety to be had. Don't consider that a failing though. Like I said, getting lost in the thicket isn't any fun so why bother? Royal Blood shows some royal sweat here and it's for that reason that it's no lie that "I Only Lie When I Love You" smokes with the best of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment