Pages

Saturday, November 4, 2017

Paramore Really Sells Fake Happy

Innocently enough Paramore's new "Fake Happy" starts out with a dreamy acoustic guitar sequence courtesy of Taylor York. So, is that all there is? Well, not exactly. In rushes vocalist/girl power ass kicker Hayley Williams plugging in that feisty keyboard melodrama we know she can hurl at us with the best of them. Cue Zac Farro's peppy drum kit alongside Taylor York's outstanding rhythm guitar and the table is officially set for Hayley to peel back the masks of everyone in her vicinity who's playing let's pretend complete with phony smiles and "Yeah, I'm alright bluster. Since the days of "Misery Business" Hayley Williams has never been one to suffer fools gladly, as is clearly the case here. She flat out revels in taunting the posers with how good she is at selling artificial merry via the words, "I love making you believe what you get is what you see. But I'm so fake happy. I feel so fake happy. And I bet everybody here is just as insincere. We're all so fake happy and I know fake happy. The mind blowing fake chorus continues in this vein via: "If I smile with my teeth. Bet you believe me. If I smile with my teeth I bet I believe me. Hayley's out and about sporting those mascara teeth begging for pity from anybody who'll give her a taste. It's like she's walking over all pretenders to get to the throne which is rightfully hers. The beat Paramore craft comes across as pretty sunny for something aimed at the fellow Americans who have their fake smiles and fake business suits to match. Somehow Hayley makes this formula work in spades for her. That keyboard of hers becomes a regular visitor and "Fake Happy" turns out a richer song because of it. You could even dance to it but Hayley would likely give you a dirty sneer for your troubles. Taylor's drumming isn't too over the top so Hayley can weave her magic beneath it. Nice to see Paramore's weathered its many line-up alterations to emerge a stronger band. We can hope added stability is in the band's future. One thing's for sure "Fake Happy" has left me with a big smile on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment