Pages

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

HELLYEAH Rises With "Love Falls"

Somebody needs a hug and that somebody is HELLYEAH'S lead growler Chad Gray. Anger permeates his every breath. We sense the tight noose wrapped around his neck, a hopelessness point he draws to again and again during "Love Falls". He doesn't have those often used Cookie Monster vocals but if you want nightmares for yeara, take a look at the expressions he gives us in the band's video. The song starts out innocently enough structurally but then, moments later, it kicks into high gear. Vinnie Paul kicks into high gear on drums. He puts down some mighty flourishes in the most appropriate places. Christian Brady electrifies, no pun intended, with guitar that sounds like either he or somebody he knows left the pot burning on the stove too long. The steady boil pays huge dividends. Everything about the attitude benefits from such raw emotion. Love is often cruel and not an end result one opts for. Chad lets his wounds seep out for all to see as is personified in the video by the young woman cutting herself at the sink. How hard up for love does Chad feel. Well...check out this scorched Earth poetry..."Have you ever wished for death and prayed all night for your last breath?" Well personally no because I'm too attached to the planet at this point to beg for a hasty exit. Chad digs deep during the chorus. I don't think in all the time I've been blogging that I've heard a man so at the mercy of torment. That's put on full display in, "I'm hanging by a thread, a rope, the noose around my neck. I choke, cuz every time I'm fallin' love falls out of me. I'm hardened like a rock, a stone, the brick inside my chest. Alone cuz every time I'm fallin, love falls out of me. Kyle Sanders explodes on bass. His tone matches Chad's rasp stride for stride. It's a love gone cold saga that grows more and more painful to experience the longer the song goes. It is hard to take your ears off of. A lover's quarrel not meant to end well. Chad's putting up too much of a fight for any of us to suggest putting him out of his, and, possibly our misery. He's not doubling down on the misery card. But the weight of his world does seem to be crashing down on him. If that makes for crunchier rock I don't know. In this case I'd say yes. If you're claustrophobic as a rule, I'd give "Love Fails" a wide berth. However, if you need people to commiserate with, HellYeah's got you covered. "Love Falls" rises to the battle scarred occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment